Saturday, November 15, 2008

Absolutely No Chance

Just a few months ago when I commented on the election I said Barack Obama had absolutely no chance of winning... I just never thought it would happen. And when it did... to quote Norman Lear, ""I'm at a christening. It's my christening as a born again American."" I watched the tears roll down Jesse Jackson's face and I listened as John Lewis remembered those who he wished had lived to see this election and I had a renewed since of pride that I hadn't felt since I was a child. And as I sat in front of the t.v. watching history unfold I felt like the child I once was, sitting in elementary school listening intently as the teacher read from the ethnocentric history books... and like that child I dream that we're always the good guys and that good will always prevail...
___________________________________

Don't miss this by David Remnick here

No comments: