Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Moving on...

The election's over... Holiday's are over... time to move on...

I'm glad Obama won and I hope he does great things... but, I can't watch it. The news and the pundits are going to 'tranquilize us with the trivial' and it will simply wear me completely out to wade through that swamp, so I'm going to make every effort to avoid it all... call it my New Year's Resolution.

So, I've been thinking about something that will probably take me 30 or 40 years to come up with a coherent thought on... but, the journey of a thousand miles begins with one step...

To begin the journey, two quotes from John Taylor Gatto in his book A Different Kind of Teacher...

J. D. Rockefeller’s General Education Board (1915): “In our dreams people yield themselves with perfect docility to our molding hands. … The task is simple. We will organize children and teach them in a perfect way the things their fathers and mothers are doing in an imperfect way.”

and

“Schools were designed by Horace Mann, E.I. Thorndike, and others to be instruments of the scientific management of a mass population. Schools are intended to produce, through the application of formulas, formulaic human beings whose behavior can be predicted and controlled. To a very great extent, schools succeed in doing this."

I'm wondering how much of the institutions we cherish, our traditions, our values, in fact, all the things we call 'our life' is based on the success of the Rockefeller Board and Horace Mann, et. al. accomplishing what they set out to do?

No comments: