Saturday, May 8, 2010

It's the Chemical's Stupid

Great piece by Nicholas Kristof in the NYTimes this week.

"Traditionally, we reduce cancer risks through regular doctor visits, self-examinations and screenings such as mammograms. The President’s Cancer Panel suggests other eye-opening steps as well, such as giving preference to organic food, checking radon levels in the home and microwaving food in glass containers rather than plastic.

In particular, the report warns about exposures to chemicals during pregnancy, when risk of damage seems to be greatest. Noting that 300 contaminants have been detected in umbilical cord blood of newborn babies, the study warns that: “to a disturbing extent, babies are born ‘pre-polluted.’ ”"

While I'm on the subject, I've lived 12 years now in places where I can't subscribe to the New York Times, in that time people stopped reading newspapers. And all I wanted to do was subscribe... once again I'm well behind the curve of most Americans. But, let me make a plea, if they deliver the Sunday NY Times where you are, subscribe. Spend some time reading the paper, cup of coffee in hand, and think about those of us who wish we could.

No comments: