Saturday, October 16, 2010

Clint Eastwood - Hereafter

Interesting piece from this Clint Eastwood interview about his new movie "Hereafter" and his thoughts on religion and the afterlife-

"Eastwood was attracted to "Hereafter" because it deals with the afterlife in a spiritual manner without turning religious.

He attended a variety of churches, mostly Protestant, as a boy but gave up on it early on, disliking the wrathful tone that was preached.

"I couldn't believe that God would be a great sadist in the sky, getting pleasure out of, 'If you screw up, I'm going to bust you, boy,'" Eastwood said. "That's a way of keeping people in line, I guess."

He does find Buddhism attractive, "because they don't seem to be as mean-spirited, and their idea of God is sort of a heavyset guy who's got a smile on his face, and I thought, hey, that's nice," Eastwood said.

"Hereafter" has no easy answers about whether there's an afterlife, and Eastwood himself won't speculate.

"I haven't the foggiest idea," Eastwood said. "I suppose the whole basis of religion all throughout history has always been based upon somebody believing or wanting to believe, and maybe it's mankind imposing their will — 'I want to believe there's something after. I want to believe there's no mortality, that you don't just fade away.'

"I don't know what I think about it. I probably tend to think, you're here for the time you're here, and you should do the best you can for the time you're here, and appreciate it and move on. That's rather simplistic, but that's where I come out.""

No comments: