Tuesday, January 4, 2011

It's tough...

Essentially, I think life is damn hard. Some think life is easy, they wholeheartedly believe that every day's a holiday and every meal a feast... But, I'm convinced it's hard work and if not for pure ass luck, I wouldn't have made it this far.

When I was in 4th grade I was in a split class with 4th and 5th graders... my hero at the time was obviously a 5th grader, he was tough as nails, a good looking guy, with older brothers and sisters he knew things that the rest of us didn't... I looked up to this guy for my entire adolescence... one year older than I, over Thanksgiving he had a serious stroke. Seeing his picture laying there in the hospital he looked much older than his 40 some odd years... he stayed around home and rumor has it that he ran through life pretty damn hard and it about killed him.

My more recent friend and mentor has been Joe Bageant, I've never met Joe, but I've read every thing he's ever written. He's a bit older than I, but as I've read his stuff, I know for fact we've chewed much of the same dirt. Today I learned that Joe's got a nasty form of cancer.

I think me, Joe, and Skeeter would have had a helluva time bellied up to the bar... I wish the best for both of them... fella's your in my thoughts.

No comments: