Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Should I stay or should I go now...

For years now I’ve vacillated between believing I should just keep plugging away in the 401K,managing my little pieces of silver, versus believing it’s actually all for naught as this world is fixing to blow up and when I'm old and my kids are my age, our life will more closely resemble life in parts of Africa and the poorest parts of former Soviet Union. If the latter is true, instead of silver, I better be finding something I can barter with in the future. When I read pieces like these two below, I start wondering what skills I have that would be useful in a simpler world:

This one from Immanuel Wallerstein who I read a lot in college – fascinating guy, developed World-Systems Theory – and the comments are great and depressing.

This one follows up on my fascination with Huxley and Orwell’s competing vision of the ‘future’ which looks a lot like the present...

No comments: